Thursday, February 15, 2007

happy happy

So, I admit that when Seabury and Garrett worship together, I usually attend out of a reluctant commitment to ecumenism. That is to say, ecumenism's fine and good, but if Garrett students aren't required to attend Garrett chapel, I don't think I should have to give up my own chapel service to go to theirs. But I go, because I (generally) do what I'm told.

Today, however, it was so, so worth it. Today, we sang praise music. Without murdering it. It's been a while since I got to do that, and I'd missed it a lot - especially since my most recent worship experiences have turned me pretty well against the high church stuff for a while. (I'll come back to liking it - but not for at least a couple months more, maybe not until the fall even.) I haven't been that happy in church for a long time. I didn't even care that I didn't know most of the songs. (Of course, the beauty of praise music is that you don't have to - they're musically predictable enough that you can just hear the intro or first line and have a pretty good sense of how the rest of the song will go.)

Now, of course, those of us who went "ooh! ooh! praise music!" are trying to figure out "wait - when do we get more of that?" Still - I got to sing praise music today! Yay for that!

4 comments:

Heidi Haverkamp said...

I'm glad someone out there in Seaburyland likes praise music, but I'm afraid that now that I know there was some at Garrett service, I'm sort of glad I didn't go. Although I think I would be curious to see how praise music might go over her at SWTS sometime... Good Friday, perhaps?

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Ah! I had a totally similar experience at a Garret service once... I tried to actually join their praise band, but the practice time was bad for some reason that escapes me now.

Praise music didn't use to be quite so foreign at SWTS... my junior year, we kind of had a band that kind of did some praise music on some Thursday nights

Beth said...

Yeah... we've occasionally gathered a group of us over the last two years, but never actually turned that into participation in SWTS worship life. We're pondering some manner of hootenanny though....

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

define the "hootenanny"...