Thursday, July 28, 2005

CPE day

As a general rule, I don't appreciate being asked to get up an hour earlier than usual for a mandatory retreat/rest day that consists of several hours with a speaker. This whole setup bewilders me.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by today's speaker. Doris Klein, an artist and nun, led a mellow session using images and music that required almost no participation on our part - and at no point were we required to share our feelings. I didn't always agree with her, and it was a little much to listen that much, but overall, I enjoyed it. It may even have inspired me to start painting again occasionally (we'll see).

The highlight of the day, however, was playing a game of two on two/ three on three/ four on four basketball with a few fellow Lutheran General folks and a few folks from other hospitals. I've really never played basketball before, except in P.E. class, but as many of you can attest, I have a strong competitive streak, so I played hard. I also don't really run at all, which apparently can get in the way. But I had a great time, occasionally got passed the ball, and I think may even have made a shot or two. Great bunch of guys.

No comments: