Friday, November 18, 2005

Kiddie Lit

1) Earliest book you remember (read to you or by you)
We had a series of very, very short stories, teaching kids to read, where most of the words in each book had the same vowel sounds: so there was one about a cat that had the short a (Bad Max? Max the Cat?), etc. I remember one with a race car, and one with bubble gum, etc. I came across them a couple of years ago, packed away in a box from years ago. We probably put them away twenty or more years ago now, after my little brother learned to read (yeah, we were early readers).

2) Picture Book you would like to climb into
The Maggie B. It's about a little girl (I think she's actually only about three) who dreams that she has a ship of her own, with her baby brother James, and she takes care of the ship, and cooks them meals, and bathes him, and manages it during a storm, and all sorts of things, all by herself. It was probably my very favorite picture book, and I'd still love to be Maggie.

3) Favorite series of books (then or now)

Then: I liked lots of series - but probably the Baby-Sitters Club books were my favorite for the longest.
Now: Probably Harry Potter - though I'd read the Narnia books a lot more if I could find a set that's in the right order to own.

4) Character you would most like to meet

Oh, that's hard!!! Aslan is a great choice, I think I'll go with that.

5) Last childhood book you re-read (for yourself or to someone)
From my own childhood? Hmm. Either Little Women or A Swiftly Tilting Planet - those are the two I have here from my childhood. I've read Harry Potters more recently, but obviously those aren't from my childhood.

No comments: