Saturday, November 19, 2005

Please punctuate properly:

Only by human efforts (through God’s grace) can racism end; only by dismantling racism can justice come about – and without justice, we cannot live as members of God’s kingdom.

Without the final clause, I'd use the semicolon between the first two. Without the first clause, I'd use a dash between the second two. In conversational writing, I'd use a semicolon and a period, and just start a new sentence with "and," rules be damned. But I can't do that in academic writing, and the combination of semicolon and dash looks awkward to me.

Members of the jury, what is your decision?

3 comments:

Dawgdays said...

Would it make sense to replace the "dash and" with a semicolon?

I'm no style maven. I muddle my way through. But at least I don't write, "eats, shoots, and leaves."

Anonymous said...

I would leave it as it is. I don't think it looks clumsy with the ; and - combination, but as we both know, I am no punctuation expert!

Raisin said...

How about making one sentence into two? Replace the semicolon with a period, and start sentence two with "Only." Then replace the dash with a semicolon.

And what am I doing messing with your ethics papers when I haven't finished my own?!