Monday, August 15, 2005

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on us

Reverend Mommy shares a sad story today. Apparently a 70-year old man walked into a hospital, up to the ICU where his wife was a patient, and shot her and then himself. Her recovery had not been going well after several weeks and apparently he decided to take matters into his own hands.

I think about the patients in my unit at LGH, the surgical intensive care unit. I think about the patient who died this weekend when they withdrew life support, after over a month on the unit. I think of his family, people of great prayer and passion. I think about the traumas that came into the ER just this afternoon: two kids on bikes, two adults in cars, and a little boy whose sister and grandma also came in from the same car accident. Some of those folks will be spending some time in our critical care units, including one of the kids. I think of the family of the brother/sister/grandma, also people of deep prayer, and of their pastor as he laid hands and prayed over the children.

So many people. So much pain.

And even as I type this, there are sirens passing my window, presumably on their way to the local hospital.

Will you pray with me?

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. We lift up to you especially those lying in intensive care units and their families, as they wait and hope for your healing grace.

2 comments:

Jane Ellen+ said...

Amen, and amen.

Anonymous said...

You probably figured I would, but yes, I'm praying with you and with all the saints. You are a great minister.