Wednesday, February 16, 2005

homesick

Frank played "Heaven" by Live in class today, and it totally took me back to last year. I hear this song now and I'm driving down Big Bend in spring weather with the windows open, probably frustrated by someone in The Church telling me things can't be done the way we're doing them, or that I can't be who I am, or something like that, and hearing the chorus:

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven
I look at my daughter, and I believe.
I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sunset and I perceive


and seeing in my head the faces of the ECM community. I don't need to be told about heaven, or God, or truth - I look at these people around me, at the blue skies and the trees turning green, and I feel the breeze and smell the soil, and I believe.

And right now, I'm very aware of being in Chicago in February, with a group of people who are also marvelous... but I miss St Louis. March feels like a long time away right now.

No comments: