Friday, April 01, 2005

Annunciation practice

(Ok, that's weird... the previous post just appeared today, despite my having told it to publish on Monday.

Hmm. In blogging, would one refer to "the previous post" as "the above post" or "the post below"? I mean, usually previous is above, but that's spatially ridiculous on a blog... Experts?)

No, I haven't been practicing my public speaking. The last few days have been a whirlwind of parental visits, trying to squeeze in some homework, meetings, and a rehearsal today for our Annunciation service on Monday. I'm very excited about this service - it kicks off at least a month of weekly high church worship services at Seabury, it's a Mary-day, and I get to be thurifer (thurifer: one who carries a thurible)! I've never been a thurifer before - I'm not even sure they exist in the diocese of Ohio (or Missouri, for that matter). I've never seen incense used in either place, except for Ohio's annual Boar's Head when the three kings come in with their gold and frankincense and myrrh. I got to spend a fair amount of time rehearsing with someone who actually knew what he was doing (Si, Jane was right about my needing time to practice) and will spend some more time doing so on my own this weekend, now that I have something to practice. It's more complex than any liturgical action I've participated in for a while, but I'm excited. I do love complex liturgical movement and incense both.

Now, however, it's time to try to get an hour or so of reading in tonight before I go to my dinner. One of the consequences of the parental visit is that I'm barely caught up with my work, and I need to get moving on that pronto.

No comments: