Saturday, January 21, 2006

Three days

A week or so ago, one of my books for Research Methods pointed out that you really ought to pick a research topic you're passionate about, because who wants to spend 60 hours (they assume 60 hours to a 20 page paper) working on something you don't even care about?

I begin to see the point.

Turns out, I really care very little about insisting that assisted suicide be morally equal to murder or that suicide violates a fundamental Christian tenet. I'm at T minus 65 hours or so, and instead of thinking about nothing else, I'm ready to be thinking about anything else. Not because I'm so wildly overprepared there's nothing left to do, just because I really don't care that much.

I've got a stack of books and articles on 1 Corinthians 6:13c, and I'd love nothing better right now than to plunge into those. I wouldn't mind reading through other NT books looking for the topic for my second probe/paper. I'd be perfectly happy to give my undivided attention to reading about 2 Corinthians or Romans for class or translating Galatians 5. I'd gladly switch for another early church history disputatio - maybe the world needs defending against Donatism. Heck, I'd even rather be prepping my next ethics disputatio. (Coming soon: Yodabeth argues against the just wage! At least I've done a fair bit of opposition research already - thank you, Biblical Theology case study).

Instead, I'm writing what amount to medical ethics memos, trying to put together an airtight argument on a topic I'd just as soon leave alone.

Three days, and I can turn my attention to the Bible for awhile....

No comments: