Thursday, May 12, 2005

word.

My hometown is suddenly so much cooler than I thought it was - or at least cooler than it was when I was in high school. They've got a pretty bad track record with supporting coffee shops - usually one opens, the teenyboppers overrun it, people with actual money stop going, and it closes - but right now, they've got two local coffee shops going - one to fill the role of "local place where the townies hang out - old folks in the morning, teens at night" and one to satisfy the local student/professor/hippie population (ok, there are about two hippies who aren't also students/professors, but still). (As I typed that, two native townies walked in for lunch - but they're both associated with the college now, so I think my assessment still stands.) It's combination coffee shop and used book store, with lots of tables, good music that's not too loud, and best of all - free wireless!!! No longer do I have to beg rides out to Panera to retrieve things off my computer - I can walk my own self downtown to a groovy local establishment and play. It warms the cockles of my heart, as Dave would say, to be able to blog for free at a coffee shop in my hometown, watching the locals have a quiet lunch and read the weekly hometown newspaper.

Or, as the case might be, finish a theology paper.

[Later: They also have an absolutely delicious hummus wrap. Somewhat overpriced, but I'm willing to pay a little more for local independent deliciousness. This place just keeps getting better.]

No comments: